New York Yankees Baseball
Quiz, Part 2
If you think you know your baseball and if you think you know your
Yankee baseball - this is the quiz for you. Others, too, may find it
interesting. Readers are encouraged to submit their own questions
which may (or may not) be included with acknowledgment as to sources
in subsequent quizzes. Here we go - answers are below questions - but
1 Who was the first major leaguer to hit two grand
slams in the same game?
Answer: a-Babe Ruth b-Lou Gehrig c-Mickey Mantle
d- Tony Lazzeri
2. Who was the last batter Larsen faced in that game?
3 How many managers have ever managed for both the New York Yankees
and the New York Mets?
Answer: A. 3 B. 5 C. 4 D. 7
4. Elston Howard was the first black player on the Yankees in 1955.
Who who second?
5. Who was the the last Yankee to hit a grand slam in
the old Yankee Stadium.
6. What former Yankee does Earl Weaver replace as
Baltimore manager on
July 11th, 1968?
7. Who played the most games for the Yankees?
Answer: A. Mickey Mantle B. Yogi Berra C.
Lou Gehrig D. Joe DiMaggio
8. How many no-hitters were thrown against Yankees?
8b. Who threw them?
9. Who wore # 7 before Mickey Mantle?
10. What number was retired by both the Mets (1965)
and Yankees (1966)?
Answer: a-18 b- 37 c-22 d-16.
11. What Number did the Yankees retire for a player
who never was on the team?
Answer: A. Bob Feller B. Dom DiMaggio C. Jackie
Robinson D. Pee Wee Reese
12 . Who has the second longest hitting streak in
American League history?
13. Name the player Derek Jeter replaced in 1996 to
become the regular shortstop.
Answer: A. Andy Fox B. Pat Kelly C. Alvaro
Espinoza D. Tony Fernandez
14 . Who played the most games for the New York
Answer: a-Wee Willie Keeler b-Mickey Mantle c-Joe
DiMaggio d-Lou Gehrig
15. Who was Wille Randolph's backup at second base for the New York
Yankees of 1976?
# # #
Answers to the Above Questions:
1. D - Tony Lazzeri in 1936.
2. Dale Mitchell
3. Answer 4
4. Harry Simpson 1957
5. September 8, 1973 Fred Stanley
6. Earl Weaver, , replaces Hank Bauer as manager of the
7. A - Mantle 2401
8. and 8b. The pitchers in those games were Cy Young,
Rube Foster, Ray Caldwell, Bob Feller, Virgil Trucks, and Hoyt Wilhelm
9. Mickey Mantle was the last Yankee ever to don the
number 7, wearing it from 1951 until he retired. Fourteen other
Yankees wore the number in their career, the last two being Bob Cerv
and Cliff Mapes, who wore the number at times during Mantle's rookie
10. B - No. 37, Casey Stengel's number
11. C - Jackie Robinson number retired on April 15, 1997
12. A -Before Joe DiMaggio set the record in 1941, St.
Louis Browns' first baseman George Sisler held the American League
record by hitting in 41 consecutive games in 1922.
14. B - Mickey Mantle played more games for the Yankees
than any other player, with 2,401. Lou Gehrig is second (2,164), and
Yogi Berra is third (2,116)
15. A - Willie Randolph played 124 games at second base
His backup was Sandy Alomar, who played 38 games.